Thursday, June 26, 2008

June at Niagara Falls


There was a chance of showers, but the sun was out, so I headed to the State Park to challenge the rapids. The 2006  'Islands in the Curve' was purchased by staff at the State Parks, I especially liked the painting-it is July on the calendar, so I decided to try the composition again. The islands have grown, and the weather was sometimes overcast-in addition there was a misty breeze swirling that kept me, the painting & palette slightly damp. The photo was taken by a California tourist. I gave their daughter a business card to look up the painting when it was complete. Dad took the picture & used my address to send it. A few plein air painters don't enjoy interruptions, but not me. It is a chance to look away from the subject and the paint & look back with a 'fresh eye'. Most people are cautious & wary, they just want to see real art, murmur 'lovely' or 'so talented' & walk on. Kids pay attention to the palette, the brushes & process. So many say they paint at home & school. Life is good, so I stayed to paint a close-up of a dent in the Falls further to the right side-a rock & it's splash. While working on the second painting, the first blew over-the dark spots in the cataracts are not fish, that is plein air painter's dirt, stuck to the oils.
'New Curve of the Falls-2008' 8x10, oil on panel 2008
'Horseshoe Divot' 5x7 oil on board, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment