Tuesday, July 14, 2009

American Falls painting-the wettest

10,000 cubic feet a second at the American Falls? This Niagara oil was painted in Fall, but I have certainly taken my time to re-photograph it. As you look at water right after the brink of the American Falls, you see that there are areas where the water hits rocks on the way down, creating new cascades.

I chose to re-publish this picture to celebrate summer. It was painted on a summer-like day, which hasn't happened often this year. Mid July, & I thought about wearing socks with my jeans today. What's wrong with that? Well, I usually put my jeans away for a few months to wear shorts & bare feet.

It was bright enough to take pictures this morning-& not windy, so I think the final two paintings can be laid out for the 2010 calendar. I had shot them a few times before, but the late day light is too warm, & the early day was too blue! I'd rather have them right in the camera than adjust colors afterwards for printing. I really miss the camera, umbrellas & strobe set-up for taking photos I once had in my Niagara Falls High School classroom. But that's all.
Steps of Niagara, oil 16x20, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment