Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Winter Projects




Painting outdoors is so different than indoors. As a plein air painter who likes to stay warm, I meet with Sharon & Peggy at the Buffalo Botanical Gardens in South Park as often as possible in the winter. On 3 consecutive Thursdays, I sat by the same giant cymbidium orchid bush to draw-in the Florida Everglades display. I originally planned to experiment with different colors of paper, but I am pleased to see how the same branch developed in the time I was there.

These orchids twist & turn as they grow to the light until the entire branch has a series of flowers facing the same direction. This is the branch I would love to have in a vase, they last for months, except they are pretty hard to find in a florist unless it is wedding season. By then, my own garden gives me its bounty.

Not able to purchase a single orchid branch, in February I bought a mini orchid plant which has been celebrating life in the kitchen. The tiny balls on the end of the spray slowly enlarge until one morning they pop open to a full size-mini-orchid flower of the deepest magenta. It's kind of miraculous.
[3] evolving orchids-12x15, pastel 2010

2 comments:

  1. I love your outdoor landscapes (well some kind of scapes, water, farm, harbor, etc.), but I've missed the closeup studies. These flower paintings are every bit as great as those I've loved.
    What's with this profile stuff? I don't know/have a URL. I'm just me. JT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I've been doing outdoor closeups too lately. Wait til you see my newest project. Try signing at URL/name.

    ReplyDelete