Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A day like today

A free hour in my day became an opportunity to walk the paths at the State park. Splendid light flickered on the mist and ripples, rainbows angled in every direction around Niagara Falls and I mentally planned at least three dozen new paintings.

Last Fall I painted a little bit of gorge wall at Letchworth during our artist camp days. This week, I varnished it after 'watching paint dry' for nearly six months. It had been near my easel in a ridiculously gaudy frame which I happened to fancy. Now that the dry areas are restored and the colors are back to brilliant I see this little jewel for what it is, spectacular. A memory of a lovely day as the sun settled behind trees and headed for the hills, and I observed and colored as fast as I could to capture it, keeping the sun out of my eyes with a side sitting hat brim.

It was a bit like today, warm and nourishing in the sun, refreshing in the shade, a good day to be an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment