Friday, March 2, 2012

A winter workout

With rare snowflakes and instant melting, this has been a poor season for winter paintings. They look just like early Spring and late fall without snow or ice instead of winter in western New York.

One fine day in February, it did snow and the sun came out as well. I hurried to the Falls with my supplies and set up on the second of the Three Sisters bridges. By the time I arrived most of the snow cover had already melted but I braved the cold and was rewarded with some remaining snow mounds on the shore. They melted as I painted, a problem that plein air painters often experience. Nature does not stand still, shadows slip from one side to another, mist disappears, rain happens and occasionally a car or truck parks right in front of your subject. On this day, snow melted, the sun went behind clouds and wind picked up as I was finishing. I had to chase a few pastels as they rolled on the bridge as I packed my supplies.

It was a good day to return to a giant mug of hot tea and cozy afghan blanket.

Not So Rapids, pastel 9.5x12.5 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment