Friday, November 14, 2014

Using a penny for emphasis


Kathy Schifano, Niagara artist, Niagara souvenir

Mini paintings take a bit of effort and concentration, as well as a good collection of exquisite small brushes. I wish I had more small frames, but it is probably better that I do not; these are 'testing the wrist' paintings. I waited longer than I wanted to start to paint after my wrist surgery and the small brushes require more control and a firmer grip than I expected, so this was an uncomfortable series to complete. Nevertheless, I love them!

The penny in the center indicates how small they are. The first Horseshoe falls is the largest, at 2.5" by 3.5", all four with frames can fit in one hand easily. These will be coming to the Holiday Art Festival at the Knox mansion in East Aurora the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Two of these are from a set Annette Baumgarden gave to me years ago, I had another one painted, but they are so small I ruined it by drilling the hardware right through to the front. I have searched the internet and have not found a place that sells small frames, unless I count the wholesale lots with a minimum order of 500 pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment