Sunday, May 6, 2018

Cherry Blossom Festival in the Japanese Garden

Each May the Buffalo History Museum presents a week long festival when the Cherry Blossoms in the Japanese Gardens open and celebrations of the Japanese tea ceremony are held as the cascading flowers fall to the ground. Parades, boat rides, music and painters, cosplay actors, bonsai, free admissions and spring bring out crowds of happy visitors and many cameras. 

In progress.


This year I decided to choose a close up of the pink tree flowers. After drawing the plan for this in a sketch book I decided to paint the Cherry Blossom flowers horizontally. My selected bunch were right in front of me and a bit above. Mild breezes kept moving the branches and I managed to keep from getting dizzy by not looking up until the breeze slowed.




The final painting. 'Early blooms in the Japanese Garden ' 9x12 oil


Photo (with my French Resistance pochade by Judson’s Art  Outfitters) by Diane G. My pink hat draws the most comments during this event. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this one! Cherry blossoms are amazing this year. The other day I drove down a hill & had to pull over to get a better look at one shimmering in the late afternoon light. I always think of you & wish you could be there to paint it when these moments happen.
    Remember the snow every spring at the front of the house - from the tall backyard chery tree?

    ReplyDelete