Monday, September 29, 2014

The Buffalo History Museum is good to their artists.

I am writing about donating again. Artists are constantly asked to donate work for fundraisers. Who asks a handyman, lawn service or plumber for donations? We are the first to be asked to contribute to our community and sometimes works are purchased by bids that are lower than the price of the frames we send them in...no counting time, materials or skills.

It is fairly easy to contribute a painting to groups I truly believe in and also somewhere that appreciates it with a 'free' membership, a ticket to an event or some profit sharing from the sale of my art. Some venues collect more donations than they need and barely acknowledge the artist, making repeat donations rare.

Last year, The Buffalo History Museum asked for a donation and I gave them a painting of their gardens. In return, I was sent a ticket to the event which turned out to be a lovely evening even though I barely knew a person in the three large rooms. I did get to see most of the museum and sample many lovely foods as well that evening. The best part was seeing four different people silently bidding up the price on my picture.

On their donee's paperwork, the museum asks if you want to donate all of the proceeds or make a 60/40 split with the museum. Talk about fair! This is what artists need, an opportunity to make a bit back on their own investment. More groups should try this and they will see the quality of the art they have go way up.

This year, I am sending two paintings for their November 6 'Paint the Town' fundraiser, a lovely little one of the Japanese gardens that I painted at the Cherry Blossom festival and another of Ruth's Garden in Artpark, framed in a thick and luscious golden plein air frame. Believing in the mission of the Buffalo History Museum, I hope they make a bundle.


Rain in the Japanese Garden, 5x7 oil on boardwww.buffalohistory.org/

1 comment:

  1. It is called having a heart, on both sides of the equasion.

    ReplyDelete