Thursday, February 26, 2015

Burchfield 'Artists Seen' Photo project

David Moog, a Rochester based and well known B&W photographer is in residence at Burchfield Art Museum, he was given a studio on the first floor for the next three years. His project involves photographing WNY artists for 'undecided' uses right now, but especially for a 100 year retrospective in the museum to be shown in the 22nd century. Talk about planning ahead!

I was invited to sit for my portrait and also enjoyed an afternoon discussion of art, artists, introspection and philosophy with both Mr. Moog and Don Keller in their photo studio, meeting a few Museum staff and reviewing the Alexander Levy exhibit that filled most of the first floor.

I had been advised to choose whatever I wanted to wear, and there would be no props. I spent at least a week thinking about what  to choose to wear and do. I had a vision of leaning against a wall, standing. The 100 year later photo of Me that I imagined needed to be comfortable and natural, so I chose jeans and a vest, the Andy Warhol pin already on the pocket flap. Walking into the room, Mr. Moog told me he had decided to do closeups this week. Although many of the photos involved looking directly into the lens, the one he chose of me was relaxed and looking down, two hands to the side of my face.  Clothes were not the subject, once again I was unnecessarily concerned about a detail.

'Photo of the Photographer'

No comments:

Post a Comment