Monday, August 29, 2022

England and Wales Experience

 The end of a beautiful July found me on a plane to Manchester England, where I transferred by trains and taxi to an AirBnB in York, England to adjust to the time change and merry old England. York is an ancient walled city and the history class Norman invasion of 1066 finally made an impression. Winding streets, tiny doorways, low ceilings, and quaint shops presented new attitudes and foods, and I took advantage of excellent public transportation. Two days later I left to experience a multi train adventure with art supplies and luggage transferring to Skipton. There I would take a 5 day paint workshop with Kathy Anderson in the lovely gardens of Rosemary of Rosemary Co. Brushes. What a week, it included dinner in an historic space, a field trip to an abandoned town to paint and meeting great artists from various countries. Yorkshire is beautiful and pastoral with gentle hills and green everywhere.

I was challenged to paint in new ways, to lay in a different sort of ground and wipe out the light areas, to suggest some things - like leaves - and omit their details. I loved it, even though I found it difficult to change habits. At the end of the week I knew I could go back and use some of the ideas that were shared and still paint my own pictures. I am thrilled that my drawing skills made it easy to paint more confidently.

old footbridge, painting in England, plein air, Schifano
1000 Year Old Bridge, Wycoller Park, UK 12x16 oil on linen

painted flowers, pink paint, little blue flowers, Schifano
Fuchsia and Blue, 14x11 oil on linen 


No comments:

Post a Comment