Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Plein Air in Buffalo

I've been painting more than I have been posting here-this pastel shows the view between two older homes on Pearl Street in Buffalo, the path leads to a 'Buffalo in Bloom' garden. It was completed last month during a flurry of pastel paintings. I had decided that it would be easier to paint pastels & pile them up in my studio than to find more room for wet oil paintings that need to sit out to dry for 3 months. Of course the pile of pastels never got themselves into my camera in a timely manner. 'Out of sight, out of mind'. Pastels are beginning to get the respect they deserve, there is no difference in quality of one media over the other. As an oil painter & pastelist, I love slipping back & forth between media, learning & improving as I go.

A Pearl on Pearl, pastel 16x12 2009

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for drawing my attention to this Kath! It's a beautiful painting, totally recognizable. I like the idea of the gate being open, or even not visible, so as to project a welcoming aspect.

    Anyway, it's really nice. I am glad you found my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting all those beautiful garden pictures-I always wonder what is beyond my view when I paint in public. I've been painting there annually after the garden walk & had no idea who lived on the street!
    Your 'plants I hate' post was hilarious-my response is 'poison ivy', I live near wetlands & welcome all those greedy plants mentioned by others!

    ReplyDelete