Saturday, January 5, 2019

Another Art Award!!!!


The December through January 'Artists and Friends' exhibition at the Niagara Arts and Cultural Center is always a friendly and fun reception.

It is an open juried event and I have been blessed again with an award. I entered 4 paintings, all were chosen for the show and remain in the gallery until the end of January. When an artist enters an exhibit there is glory in having work selected for display but sheer elation when one of their paintings wins an award. 

The painting that won, 'Winter Shadows' was a last minute choice as I had already shown it at Buffalo Arts Studio but put it in because my Niagara Falls friends probably had not seen it. The Buffalo Art Association judge, George Grace, had given it a Merit award there. It is rare that I show a painting twice.

I figured if one of my pictures would be selected for a prize at the NACC (hoping, hoping!) it would be the new Niagara painting I had entered. What do I know? Every judge is different and a painting rejected in one place can win Best in Show in another place. 

I painted it last winter from my dining room window and would like to make another from the studio window. Alas, no snow and no shadows. Maybe next week.


Winter Shadows, 11x14 oil on board, c.2018

No comments:

Post a Comment