Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The April Calendar picture

Last Spring I purchased this Primula at the Botanical Gardens. It spent weeks-months, maybe, in the dining room before I brought it up to sit on my easel. One evening I noticed the reflection of the back of the plant on the dark window glass. I could see all the flowers of the plant. Out came the palette & brushes. It was so exciting to paint a flower-close up-after doing so many landscapes. It also convinced me that I could easily paint indoors safely if I left the window open a bit and continued to use no solvents to paint.
Along with the December Holly, it represented April and my 16x20 studio oils at the show, and gathered lots of attention. I have really enjoyed having this painting around, and now it has found a new home as a Mother's Day gift from Fran Volpe to her daughter. Nice choice! Time to turn the calendars to May.
Primula Reflections, oil 16x20 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment