Friday, July 3, 2009

Father Louis Hennepin, O.F.M.

There is a great boulder north of the Rainbow bridge. It has a bronze marker stating that Father Louis Hennepin probably stood near in 1679 to view the Falls. He was supposedly the first European to see the cataracts & artists have recorded paintings of him standing in various places, but never there. It is a mile or so to the Horseshoe Falls  from that big rock, as the seagulls fly-if they flew straight.
It happens to be the place I set up my easel & selected this tiny corner of my panoramic view. It is the edge of the Canadian Table Rock section, the mist was not filling the gorge  much, so I had a great view & a lovely morning in the park. Remember, this was a mile distant, so my eyes had a great workout!
'Father Hennepin Stood Here' 9.5 x 15.5, pastel 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment