Wednesday, October 6, 2010

That's really a LOT OF WATER!


A plein air paintout on a late September morning resulted in a successful capture of one small piece of the American Falls. The photo was taken early, the water turned greener as the light changed. I placed it here to share my awe of the tremendous power at Niagara Falls. This was a joint paint out with Naiagara Frontier Plein Air Painters and Genesee Valley Plein Air Painters, so we all had an especially lively lunch discussing techniques and turpentine.

I toyed with the idea of including some tourists----it would emphasize the scale of the cataracts, but have instead decided to title it with a tremendous fact.

8,000 Cubic Feet Per Second, oil 16x20, 2010

2 comments:

  1. I do miss the Falls. You catch the power and the thunder of the water in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, everytime I look at it I hear the water echoing in my brain. Love the sound!

    ReplyDelete