Friday, January 6, 2012

The eye sees more than the camera

Why I do not like to paint from photographs.......

Painting outdoors sometimes brings the weirdest comments, the worst of which is 'What are you doing?', followed by 'What are you Painting?' and 'Do you know my aunt in Ohio, she likes to paint, too.'
More often, people are respectful, interested and pleasant to talk to. Observers will sometimes ask about the composition or notice details that they missed in nature, but some commentators ask about a concept known as local color. It has to do with the actual colors that things are, what one sees. The best example is to look at tree trunks, I have yet to see a really brown bark, it is often greenish or yellowed or gray, yet ask someone what color a trunk is and hear the answer 'brown'. Since I tend to use fairly bright colors and contrasts there are questions. I can show them my view and the colors of my inspiration and they easily see why I choose my colors.

On a quiet November day, after all the Maid of the Mist boats were in storage I painted with Jacq Baldini  near the Canadian docks. I took this photo of my painting on the easel in progress. The near images are fairly accurate, but the camera was unable to record the colors in the weeds, Fall foliage beyond the waterfalls or the depth of the gorge walls. The light shining in the plume of the Horseshoe mist did not create shadows in the photograph, but in real life they are rich and colorful. If I painted from the photograph the canvas would be nearly gray and white while in nature my eyes could see so much more variation and color.

Being an artist allows me to study rich contrasts and details and record them better than any camera. It is a bonus to spend hours in nature, appreciating and recording the feel and sounds of the land.
Niagara Plume in progress, 18x24 oil

No comments:

Post a Comment