Tuesday, February 10, 2015

An indoor study

Kath Schifano. tall flower picture, white flower painting
Nearly finished, 'Fresh Orchids'


Ah, February, it hasn't had a thaw yet and it is too frigid to paint outdoors. 

Contemporary realist painter,  Thomas Kegler held a one day workshop in still life painting at Partners in Art, North Tonawanda, and I joined for a day out and some inspiration. I had attended his workshop two years ago and was intrigued by his use of glazes, especially on a finished painting.

At that time, I had a spray of orchids which I carefully protected on the frigid drive to East Aurora. For this workshop, I hunted around for a similar subject and found this cymbidium plant. My plan was to create the same size and subject to create a pair of pictures. Now that I have them home together I see the difference two years of painting-and thinking-can be. Yes, it is a pair and I hope they stay together.

1 comment: