Thursday, November 17, 2016

Artify Chestnut Ridge

Chestnut Ridge Park had an event 'Artify the Park' and it was a lovely sunny Sunday, so I took a ride down to see if the leaves were changing south of Buffalo and find some inspiration from the art events there. 

I had no plans to paint until I drove over a ridge to see this fabulous little building glowing in the afternoon sunlight. There were several painters around and I had my easel and paints with me, inspiration took hold and I parked.

The cottage in the woods look made me think of Thomas Kincaid's light paintings while I was working, and I was pleased to be painting alongside Judson Brown. He chose a stone structure across the road for his picture. Some college students came by and we chatted while one of them worked on his nearly complete painting, adding tree branches and details in the stone. I don't think I could turn my back on someone painting my picture!

Afterwards, I was intrigued by the colors on my palette, I had used all the warms to mix in the greens and it looked like a true abstraction of my completed painting.



Chestnut Ridge, Artify with Judson. 8x10 oil on canvas, c.2016

No comments:

Post a Comment