Friday, May 6, 2022

Pansies! Spring is really here.

Yellow Pansies, oil 16 x12  c. K. Schifano

In Texas, pansies are planted outdoors as soon as the New Year's blooms fade. Visiting family in March I love the masses of color at street corners and gardens. A cold hardy flower, in New York we wait until April to see little plants shining at grocery stores, garden centers and the neighbor's baskets. My front yard gets a lot of sun so they don't last when it turns warm and I've planted them just a few times. 

This pretty little thing was in a 4" pot. I couldn't resist the purchase but before it went intomy patio display I had to paint them. I brought the plant to Thursday Niagara Painters at the NACC and spent an unusually long time on this painting.  Perhaps it was the arrival of Spring or the joy of this glorious color but this Pansy has a lasting presence in oil paint.

Of course I also bought the magenta pansies and painted them on another day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment