Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sunshine & Lake Air


Niagara Frontier Plein Air Painters met in Olcott to paint on Wednesday the 15th. It started out overcast & I foolishly chose to stand in a treeless area-in front of a glorious forest of full grown sunflowers by to the Riverwalk area. Well, the sun came out & I nearly wilted in the heat; not only was I hot, but the sun was on my canvas & palette-I know better-so I took frequent shade & water breaks under the eaves across the street to evaluate my progress.
These sunflowers consumed more of my yellow paints than I have used in the entire past two years, and I thank Youngstown Carol for donating some medium and some juicy opaque 'sunflower' appropriate yellow hue.
Working in the sun? I came home & the harmless house was suddenly downright scary-so my [no more than]15% change involved adding a pink light glaze on the facade-and window details to take away the haunting. It worked.
Sunflowers in Olcott 20x16 oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment