Thursday, July 4, 2013

3 Variations of Marsh Grasses in Western New York

painting water reeds, Schifano
If they have not been crushed by heavy snow, marshes keep their tall fronds of dry golden grasses through the new year, until new grasses fill in. Spring growth adds bulk and color variations as the green shoots stretch for sunlight.

These were coincidentally painted the same week, each about 25 miles further away.

The first is an oil, made in Buckhorn State Park, my favorite meadow, secluded and quiet, with a distant view of mists from the Falls to the west. It was hot and a little buggy, occasional clouds gave me a break from the sun even though I had an umbrella for shade. The marsh grasses nearly glowed white in the sunshine

The center painting is a pastel, painted at Tuscarora State Park on my second visit there this year. Peggy sat close to the water and made a statement about the movement of the water, giving me an idea for the title. It was neither hot nor cool, just a perfect painting day.
This last picture is also pastel, painted deeper into the Tifft Nature Preserve than I usually venture. A map noted that the water is named Mosquito Pond. Wrong. The non native Red Ants in this area were atrocious, even marching in thick lines on the raised walking platform. I tucked my pants into my socks, sat with only my boot toes touching ground and occasionally jumped around. It makes me itchy to remember as I write this! The grasses here seemed almost pink at the tops, I liked the horizontals formed by the receding layers of nature and the patterns of verticals from the growth near to far.

Ironically, I created three paintings in one week with the same subject, unintentionally, each captures its own moment and place.
painting water reeds, Schifano

Reminiscing, 9x12 pastel, 2013
Water Flows Both Ways, 9x12 pastel, 2013
Mosquito Pond in Tifft, 9x12 pastel, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment