Monday, January 13, 2014

Coming Home in Cypress, Texas

Kathy Schifano, oil painting
'Coming Home' c. K. Schifano 2014 18x24
The third house portrait painting in a series for a Houston area client, this is off the easel and on my mantle until the final bits of flowers and details are dry enough to send.

Yesterday I was asked if it is hard to give up a painting. The answer is yes, but if I live with it for a while it becomes easier. I want to have each picture for a while, to study and evaluate, appreciate and accept. Occasionally, I want to change a shape or a shadow, this observation period allows me to find the spot that needs something. I had this up for a few days, took it down to brighten some of the flowers and place their kittys in the driveway. Working with oils, I cannot send it until dry so there is an advantage. I can live with the painting until it is safe to package and I am ready to let it go. It is always nice to know where they live and the wall or room a painting graces. I don't have to see it, I just need to know that I can if I want to.

With lovely architectural details, a variety of textures, rooflines and surfaces, this home offered many angles to choose from for the final composition. Although a peak and part of the stone facade is nearly invisible on the far left, this is the view most familiar angle of view, the daily entrance, the "Coming Home' of the title. 

Here is a quick step-by-step progression of the canvas in the studio.



No comments:

Post a Comment