Sunday, March 18, 2018

A still life challenge

In progress!

This was my view at a Burchfield Penney Museum Sunday still life challenge. It was an open studio where an artist assembled a setup for the afternoon. Loving a challenge, I packed my paint kit. There was so much to see here that I spent a long time drawing the various objects on the table, trying to make sense of it. The individual items were mostly retro with many old dolls and stuffed critters, all with faces, as well as tangled socks, scarves and bric-a-brack. It was a visual delight but an artistic challenge.
My still life challenge.

I chose the ancient Kewpie doll but needed to create a busier composition, and boy did I achieve that.  As I finished, it needed something on the left to lead into the 'pile' so I used some basket colors to create an angle complementing the other lines. That's artistic license. So is the different time on the clock plate.

Completely unrelated to my usual subjects, this was fun yet difficult which makes it immensely satisfying. My title may be temporary, we'll see if I decide to change it.

Critters With Eyes, 9x12 oil on canvas c. 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment