Thursday, March 29, 2018

Spring Equinox at Buckhorn State Park

Initial marks lay out the image shapes after drawing in a sketchbook to choose a composition.

Spring started March 20th. I try to paint at each change of season. I schedululed the Niagara Frontier Plein Air Painters at Buckhorn State Park at 4:00, hoping for warm afternoon sunshine. We got that beautiful sun and some solar heat to help warm us but it was still cold especially when the breeze picked up. 30 degrees is cold enough to make the paint tacky and some colors acted like melted pizza cheese. I used to go out often in the winter but have discovered the joys of indoor painting, too.

Here is my painting right in front of the actual scene as it was nearly finished.

   "Spring Equinox Snow" 9x12 oil

All together, I had on 6 layers which impaired moving! Fingerless gloves over leather gloves worked pretty well, and I sat upon my apron folded on the fence rail of the park road. So, pretty comfortable for the start of a new plein air season with my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment