Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Spring springs at the Botanical Gardens

Yesterday was sunny with a bit of afternoon rain and this morning the number of freshly blooming leaf buds on bushes in my yard was staggering. Overnight Spring had encountered the earth and plants had responded. 

I had signed up to paint at the Botanical Gardens and went despite threatening skies and a gloomy forecast. Part of me was excited to be out and painting and the other part looked forward to greeting friends who had been painting indoors since Fall. What a pleasurable day as our vaccinated artists kept their distance without masks outside and caught up friendships.

I didn't have far to go to find a scene, I opened the easel right next to the car and used the opened back trunk and an art umbrella for a few minutes of sprinkles. Although I worked from what I saw, the picture wasn't complete until that evening. I finished in my studio with the still wet palette and added the branches of the red tree and gave the evergreens shape. That tree had attracted me to the scene with the Basilica in the distance. I couldn't get the shapes to lightly draw over the wet paint of other shrubs when the paint was very wet earlier.

I am really satisfied with this one. However, I won't choose a square canvas again, it was the hardest thing to get the right composition into a square., but I do have the perfect frame for it.

Buffalo Botanical Garden, Kath Schifano, gazebo, spring flowers
Buffalo Peace Garden in Spring

 The Peace Garden in Spring 12x12 oil c.2021



No comments:

Post a Comment