Wednesday, April 22, 2015

30 in 30, #16. Garlic

Oh my, Sunday evening and I hadn't started this day's painting. The garlic was on my mental list so I brought it up to the studio, the height and width are the same so I chose a square canvas. It was late so I played a bit and enjoyed my time with Mr. Garlic. Afterwards on Facebook I discovered the previous day was an official 'garlic day'. And yes, this bulb was partially eaten. Click email me if interested, only $40

Saturday Was Garlic Day. 4x4 oil on canvas board


Kathy Schifano, 30 in 30 days, kitchen paintings, Grand ISland artist

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kath, I like this one a lot. I like the yellow-greens, the purple shadow. Keep it up! That's the way I started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Don, I've been working with complementary palettes as influenced by Hongyan Zhang.

      Delete
  3. Does he use megenta,yellow,cyan as primary colors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't so simple. A red green combination would include reds from a red-brown dark to a red-orange and the greens would extend from a y-g to a b-g including warm and cools for both colors. A color could be made darker or lighter, cooler or warmer by using adjacent paints. It limits some colors but most anything can be mixed with the available palette, it just has more unity. I am still working it out on my own paintings, his palette is more extensive than true complementaries.

      Delete
    2. We both agree. The primaries are magenta, cyan and yellow. Transparent pigments are a must. You didn't say it but your b-g is actually cyan-green. Blue is half magenta, cyan is all cyan.

      Delete