Monday, April 6, 2015

Painting the Mist on Day 2


This is the second post of my 30 Paintings in 30 days challenge.

It was sunny when I left the house to paint, but as I approached the Falls, clouds were rolling in and I took the turnaround on Robert Moses Parkway to paint the Canadian skyline and Horseshoe mist from the Power Project intakes. I had photographed here in the winter; today I realized that I was driving on the sidewalk for quite a distance that day, today I would have to hike to the chosen spot with my supplies. A true plein air experience carrying easel and pochade today, not one of my favorite lazy paint outs next to my car.

Having experimented and contemplated grays and muted colors recently I found the soft colored buildings of the distant Canadian Niagara Falls a good subject for trying the duller tones. With westbound traffic blocked and construction at the end of the parkway in progress the bright orange traffic signs put a punch of color on the road (enlarge the painting to see them.)  $65

Calm Before the Rain, 5x7 Gessoboard, c.2015


Calm Before the Rain

No comments:

Post a Comment