Saturday, April 11, 2015

30 Paintings in 30 days, #7 Food trucks

Niagara Falls painter, downtown painting, Kathy Schifano
Ready to paint the river, I thought "coffee" and parked in front of Starbucks. This was the view out my window and I never got the coffee or to the Falls. The colors of the food trucks and the activity on Falls Street were enough to make me paint there, on the street, at the back of the car. I had to do this piece by piece as vans and big trucks parked on the street and blocked different parts of my view.

Skateboarders were using the Starbucks corner behind me to nosily practice jumps and the painting was created to the sounds of wheels on bricks and benches, an occasional fall or cheers as a skater accomplished a move. Even the painting took a dive, it was quite windy, turning to the car trunk to get a brush the entire setup went up and over onto the road, with the painting face down on the bricked street. That cleaned up easily with a few strokes. My box went a bit off kilter, but crazy glue and a few clamps at home put it back to square. Such are the hazards of plein air painting. Later, the skating noise stopped and I heard the soft sound of something like pickup sticks or clocks ticking. Looking around, the people were scattering, it was the sound of frosty rain bouncing on my wide brim hat. I marked the unfinished light poles poles in the distance and finished this painting at home.

This painting is $75 during the 30 day event. Choose the PayPal button or click here to email me.

Lunch trucks at the Convention Center, 10x9, oil on canvas 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment